PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash of a B17/B24 Bobbington - South Staffordshire
Old 5th Jun 2004, 06:56
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
accidents

Having had a good look at my references now, I regret that neither of those I mentioned are the accident in question, being at Much Wenlock and Wellesbourne Mountford. I can post details if required, but to prevent 'muddying the water' I'll refrain at the moment.
rgds
js

BTW it seems that a laden B17 or B24 would need at least 3,000ft of runway to depart. In 1943/44 problems with the oil coolers on B17's led to a number of accidents if either of the outer engines failed, according to reports they would then 'spin in' very rapidly.
Re crew numbers the complement of a B17/24 was usually 10, whereas a lanc/hali/stirling was I think 7, so if the numbers are correct would lean more towards a british type, the B17's reduced to 9 later in the war due to changing gunnery positions and better fighter cover into the target area's. USAAF bomber assembly areas were clustered generally to the east of a line Leicester/Oxford, so a mission abort landing whilst not improbable would possibly have landed closer to the main bases in the east of the country. Having said that the Wellesbourne accident was due to a collision in formating for a mission to Kassel.

Last edited by jumpseater; 5th Jun 2004 at 07:11.