PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automated Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2004, 14:57
alexban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cortilla:
just curious,why would you want to fly outside of the allowable anvelope? Would you like 80 degrees bank? I guess not.
I was talking about flying,not doing aerobatics with a pax aircraft.

tyro : I don't have yet first hand experience on buses.But on Boeing,and other smaller planes I flew the pilot HAS ultimate control.
Don't talk now about pmc,or fadec ,or other system.This can fail and we have checklist and raw procedures for this case.
Yes,as I said to cortilla ,those systems will avoid exiting the allowable anvelope. On buses more than on other planes.But this is meant to help only.No plane will go on the GS,or climb.or whatever,by itself,with no command from the crew.
We are not talking here about keeping the plane running.We are talking about flying it.Of course the fadec will monitor the engint,avoiding high temp,etc.This is it's role.But it won't decide against a pilot who wants to shutdown the engine,for whatever reason.
We are talking about flying a plane in it's allowable anvelope.No plane will turn right if a pilot wants to turn left.
I don't know about your 'reality' but on mine,I think we won't see an airliner flown by computers.
Not saying it is not technically possible to make a an automated plane.The soviet shuttle Buran made a fully automated flight (supervised from the ground,i guess) But I think we won't see this for passanger transport. It is more than technical considerations regarding a normal,pax flight.
I am just curious,where did you get your ideas from.What autoplane you fly? Busdriver? Not even one will say the plane flies instead of him.
I hope we'll be around for the next 50 yrs and we'll see!

brgds alex

ps hmm...., tyro ,are you an AI? just wondering...Is this Terminator 4?