PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 4th Jun 2004, 13:40
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did what I was best at - Maths, Physics, German and History (AAAB), then went on to do an Economics and Politics (2:1) degree. Although I am not a good example, since I am not yet working in aviation, I did pass the partial OASC for the flying scholarship, and got into the UAS while at uni, so I guess I was doing something right - i.e. getting good grades and being a rounded person.

If sponsorships come up - I've maintained interest in aviation and kept up different activities to be well-rounded enough. If they don't, and being 23 time is running out for them given the market conditions, I'll qualify as an chartered accountant next year and give my all to save for an ATPL; or go the CTC route.

I didn't even consider engineering as it's not for me: I doubt that will hinder me unless a specific requirement (which it isn't), but hopefully the business experience will be a plus. What I consider favours me more are the activities I have done, such as joining the RAeS, UAS, sport etc. Ultimately in the absence of sponsorships these won't matter if the job depends upon having an ATPL and type rating, but I've created the means for myself to get there and the backup career isn't bad either thank you very much!

Do what interests you academically, focus on what you need to do to get there, but don't lose sight of the fact that you need to somehow pay for aviation if sponsors don't materialise, and ensure that if you do something else first, you might consider doing it instead of flying as medical don't always go your way. Backup plans always help and can fund the passion!