PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Secret Heathrow plan to set noise levels soaring
Old 4th Jun 2004, 13:22
Seloco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess SNNEI is having a particularly bad day, but I will nonetheless rise to his/her wind-up, if only to return a smidgeon of levity to this post.

What he/she might have said is "anyone with a brain would realise that the commitments on movements and noise constraints around LHR given by the airport and government authorities are not worth the paper they are written on." That would be nearer the truth, but a very sad indictment on the way in which development of this environmentally misplaced airport continues to be carried out.

Let us all remember that the initial placing and building of the airport was a (eventually) self-confessed confidence trick by the wartime government of the day anyway, so perhaps those of us who do live around it should not be surprised that such a devious culture continues sixty years later.

And, in case it is thought that I had forgotten my undertaking to indulge in a degree of levity, let us also remember that Heathrow was originally designed with seven runways, including one north of the A4 close to where today's "third" (actually of course it is fourth after 23R....) runway is being proposed, so one cannot not even say that one was not forewarned of that either.

Incidentally the original plans also called for a two mile long canal to take flying boats, and I for one am extremely saddened by the fact that it was never built!