PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you need to do to get a job around here?
Old 4th Jun 2004, 08:38
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you need to do to get a job around here?

So there I was, coming to the end of the FIC, and wondering what the job market was like. Others who had finished the course shortly before me had found jobs, so I knew there were jobs out there, it was just a matter of finding them.

So I started asking questions, seeing if anyone knew of any schools which were recruiting. At the same time, I found a list of flying schools around the country (thanks, Flyer magazine!) and highlighted those I thought I'd be a good match for. Some of them were within driving distance, so I took my CV in, and, wherever possible, had a brief chat with the CFI (which usually consisted of being told there were no jobs available but they'd keep my CV on file). But these aren't the ones I'm necessarilly interested in.

Most of the schools, though, were not within easy driving distance. This isn't a problem - I have no ties which would prevent me from relocating just about anywhere in the country if there was a suitable job. So I e-mailed my CV to them.

A small number of schools replied with the standard answer (sorry, no jobs, but we'll keep your CV on file). A couple of schools replied with offers of part-time work, which unfortunately isn't really what I'm looking for.

I was lucky in that, eventually, I found myself a full-time job. I start next week, I'm very excited about it.

But what I'm really interested in is those schools which I e-mailed my CV to, but never heard anything back from them. In particular, there are at least three schools which I have since heard are actively recruiting instructors - both of which seem to have completely ignored my CV. In one case, the school has ignored my CV twice - they ignored it when I e-mailed it to them, and then when I heard they were recruiting I followed up with a phone call and the gentleman I spoke to suggested I should fax my CV to him. I faxed the CV, and again heard nothing back from them!

I can think of only two reasons why this might be. The first is that my CV is so bad that the schools aren't interested in me. I think this is unlikely. I would guess my CV is very similar to most other newly-qualified CPL/FI(R)s. I have two or three thing which I feel make me stand out from the crowd, and I've emphasised these things both on my CV and my covering letters, but I'd guess that everyone else does exactly the same. Besides which, if my CV was that bad, why have I heard from several schools who were interested in me - not only the school I will soon be working for, but, as I said, several others who were looking for part-time instructors?

The second reason I can think of is that the schools' administration is sufficiently poor that although they are recruiting, they do not look at CVs they receive. Or maybe they do look at them, but don't bother replying? In any case, this seems a little strange. In my previous life in IT, when I was recruiting I would look at every single CV I received. Most of them were totally unsuitable for the role I needed to fill, but I always looked at them, and replied to say why they were unsuitable. Besides the fact that there are less jobs available, is instructing any different?

Anyway, I have a job now, so I've got no reason to be too bothered by this. But I would still be interested to hear from any CFIs out there how you go about sourcing CVs when you are recruiting. Do you have a policy of ignoring CVs which don't meet certain criteria? Is there anything which future FI(R)s and FIs can do to ensure that their CV really does get brought to your attention when you are recruiting? Are my experiences fairly typical of the industry?

FFF
---------------

Last edited by FlyingForFun; 4th Jun 2004 at 09:01.