PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAFEE,safe aircraft in future european environment
Old 4th Jun 2004, 08:14
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More info :
The project started last year as a EU Commission sponsored-to the initial amount of 37Million Euros-study.
Here is the link to a PP presentation of the status of the project :
http://asas-tn.eurocontrol.fr/3rdwks...9_gaultier.ppt
I am sure other googles would come out with more but I thought this could be the best introduction to the subject.
Looking at the 5 identified subprojects gives a chill to my spine as beyond the technocratic jargon there is definitely a will and an intent to see the study to the end.
I do not think it is another AvsB war as it looks very much like an eventual implementation of a ground control take-over of an airplane,officially for security reasons.

Danny,
One of the main problems of fighter intervention in Europe is where the decision rests:ie,Nato fighters (let's say British for example's sake) over Germany and facing the threat of a highjacked airplane being flown towards Frankfurt...who gives the order?
I understand this is a very sensitive subject but I'd really like our colleagues to start looking to a seemingly far-fetched sci-fi goofy brainstorming exercise but which could in reality be a lot closer than we'd thought.
After all,we discussed the cockpit door locking policy at length...look where we are now.
Bregards.