PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Routing info for pax
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2004, 00:56
Rockhound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bealzebub,
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my posting. However, I couldn't disagree with you more.
I am reminded of a flight I took with Aeroflot from Moscow to Montreal in 1985 (pre-perestroika). We were over the N Atlantic when suddenly a rugged landscape of mountains and glaciers appeared to starboard. The pax all craned their necks and I wondered if we were passing Svalbard. So I asked the FA where we were. She consulted her little crib sheet and said "Ocean, ocean". I pointed out we were looking at land and asked her to request our location from the captain. Word came back that we had been looking at eastern Iceland. Shortly thereafter we passed the south tip of Greenland, gleaming in the sunlight. Not a word from the FD.
You seem content to play the part of a (glorified) truck driver hauling a load of cattle across country and consider the job well done when you deliver the load safely at the destination. Well, I happen to think one can make more of the job than that. It would have taken the crew of the DFW-ORD flight less than 30 sec to advise the pax of the routing. If it changed during the course of the flight, they could easily have issued a correction. They could have pointed out particular features of interest as they appeared, such as the Mississippi and the huge, ring-shaped particle accelerator of the U of Chicago's Fermi Lab near Batavia. (I've reconstructed the route using a road atlas and notes and sketches I made during the flight).
Yes, I did enjoy the flight but not thanks to the airline's staff, who provided the usual minimal N American service ("Whaddya want to drink?").
And BTW I don't think the airline's CEO will find a letter from an unhappy customer all that hilarious, as he watches the red ink bleed from his profit-and-loss statement.
Happy landings!
Rockhound

Animalclub,
Thanks for your reply. There was no on-board entertainment system but what you said about pilots and the PA system confirmed my suspicions.
Cheers.
Rockhound