PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you give it all up?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2004, 23:39
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing is Straightandlevel80kt

If you want it enough and are realistic and have your head screwed on the right way round you WILL make it happen. It might take much longer than anticipated, it might cost more than you planned. It might lead to broken relationships, it might lead to a whole load of other problems, but if you want it enough and you have the ability, you will do whatever it takes to secure employment.

Many have done this in the past and there are plenty who went through the 'bad times' in the early 90s with no job, no prospects, no money and little else. The ones who stuck at it and instructed or whatever else to keep the hours ticking over, who never gave up because it got hard, eventually reaped their reward. I know two such characters who now work for UK airlines and sure, yes, we all know a handful who got out when the times were hard and went on to do something else. Look who is where they want to be now though. Determination is a huge factor in getting that break, alongside a bit of luck, which incidently comes to those who go actively searching for it.

What to do? Exactly what Pirate suggests. I made a list in 1996 (Churchillian style I believe that is?) with reasons to stay in my current job against reasons to leave. The list was 20:1 in favour of leaving. I'm now sitting up front in a 75/767 and loving every minute of it and I've seen a few 'bumps' in the road post 9/11 but still haven't regretted any choice that I have made.................

Good luck

PP