PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates emergency landing in JNB
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2004, 16:47
Flight Safety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NoD, yes it does, but apparently the PNF was NOT monitoring the stick position of the PF. Then again, Airbus did use the phrase "Initial Takeoff Roll".

To me, this whole setup raises lots of questions. When I get some time I'll sort them through, and hopefully post some relevant questions.

My first question.

ON GROUND, THE SIDESTICK POSITION IS INDICATED BY THE POSITION OF A CROSS, RELATIVE TO THE FOUR WHITE RIGHT-ANGLE MARKS THAT REPRESENT THE MAXIMUM LATERAL AND LONGITUDINAL SIDESTICK DEFLECTION. ON THE PFD, THE FOUR RIGHT-ANGLE MARKS ARE FIXED, AND THE CROSS MOVES RELATIVELY TO THE FIXED SYMBOLS. THEY APPEAR SUPERIMPOSED TO THE MOVING ATTITUDE SCALE, BUT THEY ARE NOT REFERENCED TO IT.
What kind of design is this???

Why superimpose a sidestick reference box OVER a moving pitch attitude display, when the 2 have no direct correlation with each other? Shouldn\'t these be separated displays (assuming you have room on the PFD)? Since the cross moves relative to the fixed right angle marks, why put a moving pitch attitude scale underneath it, when there is no direct correlation to the aircraft pitch attitude? This is an opportunity for confusion.