PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 3rd Jun 2004, 11:57
Jonnypiano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for your replies.

"5) If you're going to do a degree, it might be as well to do something business, finance or law related."

Hmm... I see where you're coming from but the problem there is, if I didn't get a job as a pilot, I'd end up with a job I'd be deadly bored with when I could have been in L.A. making music videos for Muse

"6) Don't do engineering"

I agree, I'm no longer going to do that, no way.

"7) Get some experience."

Yeah, that's something I need to do, however I wouldn't want to join ATC because it's very RAF themed, and to be honest I'm not into the whole scouts thing. I'll have to see about that, though.

"8) Read flying books"

Yes, I've planned on getting some books. I'll try to sign up to an Airliner magazine as well eventually, but not too sure whether to sign up yet as they seem very business-related.

"9) Apply for reputable sponsorships such as CTC as early as possible. You may have to re-apply several years in a row, and age 26 comes round quick!"

Life is too short.

"11) Failing all of the above, join the RAF.

Now I thought about this, but I read on the website that you are destined to something like 16 years service with them.

"Can't think of anything else to add, except to wish you all the best!"

Thank you!

----------

"English sounds like a fine choice of A-level to me. You even spelt Boxster correctly."

Haha, yes, I think I'll do alright in English.

"Good luck with your GCSE's"

Thanks, I'm going to need it to be honest, they are absolute hell...

-------------------

"I got a sponsorship having studied the following subjects:

A level: English, Business Studies, Law

Degree: English

I also got plain old C grades for maths and the sciences at GCSE."

That's good to know, considering I'm taking English A-Level and that you even got Sponsorship with C Grades. I was always told to try and maintain As and Bs, because they look good on a CV - which is true, but at least there's some hope if I do bugger up maths, which I seem to be doing at the moment.
However, you took Business Studies and Law... both subjects that seem to have been batted around this post as subjects to study, especially Business Studies. Well I haven't done Business Studies GCSE, so I don't know whether that would affect it, and I suppose I don't HAVE to do Business Studies... I hope that English, Computing, Physics and Music Tech would suffice.

Well, it all seems good, and looks as if it's just a case of getting good grades and sponsorship, and remaining focused.

Thanks a lot for the advice, it's been a considerable help, it's changed my A-Level and University plans!