PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - nimrod mr4 first flight date
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2004, 06:27
PPRuNeUser0139

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading this thread gave me a flashback to the same location in the early eighties..
I was part of the Boscombe flight trials team at Woodford for the previous Nimrod incarnation (the Mk3).
The scene: In the non-air conditioned Flight Sheds conference room one warm summer's day, a large meeting was in progress between BAe, MAv and us...
At mid morning, the door opened and two guys came in (think 2 Ronnies). Both were wearing overalls and donkey jackets. One was carrying an industrial-sized aluminium teapot of around 5 gallons capacity with two handles... the other had 2 long tubes of paper cups - one stuck in each pocket (gunslinger mode) - and was carrying a pint of milk and a bag of sugar with a spoon stuck in it.
Not a word was spoken as the meeting stopped and a line of paper cups was laid out along the highly polished conference table. The teapot guy stepped forward and - starting at one end -in one continuous motion filled the entire line of cups with hot steaming tea. The tea went all over the table too. I caught the eye of a colleague sitting opposite and we both had to look away as we were both desperately trying not to laugh. Meanwhile, matey with the milk does the same continuous pouring action and, leaving the sugar and spoon on the table they left.
I can still recall the pain we all went through as we tried to retain our composure. The BAe management acted as though this was a perfectly normal occurence.
My other abiding memory of Woodford is that across the airfield is the large building where the Nimrods were built. It was known as 'New Assembly'.
I asked one of the BAe guys one day why it was called that.
He said it was because that's where the Lancasters were built...