PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army - GSO or SSO?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2004, 23:31
victor two

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should point out that as I am not actually in the job but am considering applying this year I can't comment on the morale within AAvn but having spoken to several pilots I have had mixed reports about the job. As I said, some pilots are only flying between 200-300 hours per year. This is not really a lot compared to what commercial pilots fly outside the service. As a potential SSO applicant and being employed primarily to fly choppers I am curious as to what is likely to fill in the spare time. You can only read flight manuals and practice procedures so many times. Some pilots are given secondary duties such the squadron social officer or mess officer but I prefer to be busy if possible. There is also the chance of lots of time away. Some guys I spoke with are away from home for 6 to 8 months a year which can be hard on partners. There is also a pretty limited number of postings but that should not be a motivator for applicants. If you want to fly their machines, go wherever. With the Tigers coming online as well as a medium lift troop transporter due in a couple years the equipment is not too bad. The pay level is also decent with lots of penalties and allowances. However, a mate of mine who is a super puma captain for an aussie operation says that they get lots of ex army guys applying for work so there are those who feel the grass is greener in other pastures. I guess like anything, it's what you make of it.

cheers
Vic