PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GB Pilots Reject Pay Offer
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2004, 12:32
CapedCrewsAider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst a skirmish over pay and conditions is possibly justified, there is a more serious issue looming for BA Franchisees, especially now BA Shorthaul is profitable: what happens at the next franchise renewal.

These appear to be the possible scenarios:

1). FRANCHISE RENEWAL.

If the franchise is renewed are the franchises just left doing the same things they are now?

Is more of the same enough?

Will they be allowed to grow the business beyond the present size?

If they cannot grow the business and if they are struggling now, how will they compete with the expanding no frills airlines?

2) NO FRANCHISE RENEWAL

New Franchise with another major carrier.

I cannot help but think that any 'major' airline will have industrial relations issues if a new bunch of pilots turned up and started operating in that airlines colours.

For example would Virgin co-pilots be happy to see Virgin flights captained by less senior people, I think not. I suspect most major european airlines already have SCOPE agreements.

'Go-it alone': If the franchise is not renewed do the franchise airlines have the clout to muscle in on the no-frills airlines in terms of sales and marketing etc. Is this what Duo tried to do?

In short the real question for GB pilots is 'what's the plan Johnny?' Can you afford to hang around and find out? Who cares the most and has most to loose: The Shareholders, the Directors or you?