PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weybourne info?
Thread: Weybourne info?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2004, 16:35
FNG
Not so N, but still FG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weybourne is an exhilarating little strip, and worth a visit. I cannot recall precisely how long it is, but it is neither very long nor critically short* (depending, of course, on what you are flying, but I went there in a Beagle Pup 150, which is not a mega-STOL aircraft). The strip may appear shorter than it is, for reasons which may appear below.

The strip is roughly north-south in orientation (the prevailing winds along the coast are westerly or easterly , but even then you may get sea or land breezes at various times of the day according to weather). The strip is a little undulating, and has a slight upslope (ski jump?) towards the northern end. The field is used by RC model flyers, so a preliminary circuit may be needed to signal to them that they should land their machines.

The northerly runway launches off over the cliffs (low cliffs, but this is Norfolk), and the view of open sea at the end of the runway adds to the impression of shortness. On approach for that same runway, the grassy knoll in the undershoot may affect your perception of the approach, but it is unlikely that any conspirators will shoot you from it. Arriving there for the first time, I over-braked somewhat, because of the foreshortening effect described above. If your engine fails after take off to the north, you are getting wet. Some trees if departing to the south.

Book in and leave a modest fee in the caravan. There is a tank museum just adjacent to the strip, but I did not vist that. PM for details of some more interesting strips in that area.

NB the TRA a little to the east of Weybourne.

Have fun.

PS: I will check contact details when at home.

* having said that, it's more short than long!

Last edited by FNG; 1st Jun 2004 at 17:43.