PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why should we be as restrictive as the US?
Old 1st Jun 2004, 06:45
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Four Seven Eleven, it is great to see the amount of Class E airspace in your proposed airspace model considering how much it was hated by ATCs and pilots. You probably remember that under the AMATS changes Class E was originally to be introduced on a trial basis in December 1992 and be totally operating to the US system by June on 1994.

After I finished my term as Chairman of CAA those who were against change won the day.

You may remember that no Class E airspace was introduced until I came back as Chairman in 1998 and even then it required a lot of hands-on work that I am always criticised for. Even now Class E airspace is resisted and not working correctly as pilots and air traffic controllers have not been properly trained, and as you have pointed out the MATS documentation has never been correctly written for Class E. One day you will get some leaders who have vision I’m sure.

The message here is that there is always great resistance to change and it is good to see that I have had an influence and you are now pushing for more Class E airspace. Since I instigated the AMATS changes in December 1991, I have always been a strong supporter for using Class E airspace in the way the US does. It is very efficient as it has the advantages of Class A airspace when IMC exists, and the flexibility of Class G airspace when VMC exists.