PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JSF - industrial implications
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2004, 11:12
althenick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All this talk about JSF and STOVL being the cheap option is beginning to look like fudge to me. Surely if the UK get into bed with the French Ala’ CVF then wouldn’t it be cheaper to design 1 CVF type? (ie CATOBAR) and buy either the naval Variant of JSF, (Most expensive) Rafale, (Perish the thought!) or Mr B Liar could stick his nose firmly ‘twixt the crack Gee Dubya’s @rse, and request that we be allowed to build Super Hornet under licence. (IIRC we did the same with Sea King and the results with a British Avionics suite was regarded as far better than the original US Design). It may not be as stealthy as JSF but it would have an excellent Weapons fit (Eurofighter Radar etc) You can argue how Cr@p Super Hornet is until the cows come home but I reckon the Avionics pretty much maketh the Aircraft theses days not the Airframe. (Sea Harrier is a classic example) Plus it has 2 engines (The more engines the better when at sea I believe) and a much longer range all for 57Million USD.

Jackonicko wrote

“A better way? Bin the £6 Bn + white elephant carriers, bin JSF and spend the money on tankers, SEAD, recce, C-17s and loadsagripens.....?”

Here’s an even better idea – Bin the RAF, divide the squadrons up between the other two services According to requirement. Sack all the Air Marshals and their Lackeys. Get rid of all the MU’s, and rationalise the squadron structures so that common working (and therefore support and training) practices can be implemented with the other 2 services. Offer the rest of the RAF People the option to either transfer to one of the other 2 services with no loss of pay or Rank. Or offer them the same post in a Light – Blue suit for the rest of their career. No doubt some of you will say that it would have a bad effect on morale in the Armed services – NOT TRUE – I reckon it would improve by about 331/3%

…Sorry Jacko, But if you can shoot from the hip then so can I.