PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS on the 730 report Tonight (Wed)
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2004, 05:49
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Frank Burden, if you look at the US airspace model you will see that the United States has Class G airspace to 14,500’ – just as our NAS design shows should be introduced by November this year! The US Class G airspace to 14,500’ covers large areas of low traffic density airspace – areas in Arizona, Nevada and Wyoming of many thousands of square kilometres.

Ushuaia, I can assure you that in the United States they follow ICAO compliant Class E airspace just as we have introduced – that is, they separate IFR from IFR and give traffic where practical on others. Are you sure you have interpreted the Jeppesen documents correctly? If you have, they are obviously in error and need to be changed.

Adamastor, you are accusing me of not being tough with enforcement. If you check with the Office of Legal Counsel at CASA, or possibly with Creampuff, you will find that when I was Chairman of CAA in 1991 I introduced the administrative fines legislation. After I finished my term no one acted on this legislation. When I came back in 1998 I worked again with the Office of Legal Counsel to actually put a system in place so the administrative fines were used – and they were.

FarCu, yes, I am jealous of Richard Branson - not because of the Sir but because of the fact that he has been able to very successfully introduce reform into Australia and many Australians have benefited, including lots of jobs created. That is what I am about. Just as Richard Branson does, I like the idea of copying the best practices from around the world and introducing them into Australia so we employ more people and create more wealth for all Australians.