PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - jobs downunder
Thread: jobs downunder
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2004, 18:42
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
Low Capacity RPT (CAO 82.3) operations require the PIC (captain) to have a minimum of 2000 hours with 500 hours PIC (or PICUS - note, this is not the same as the UK's P1 u/s) on multi-engine aeroplanes under the IFR, plus 50 hours PIC or PICUS on the aeroplane type as well as 100 hours night. (Which you need for an ATPL any way)
RPT = regular public transport, ie an airline ops carrying passengers.
Low capacity refers to an aircraft with 38 seats or less and a payload of 4200kg or less.
Naturally, High Capacity RPT (CAO 82.5) operations means greater than the above.
I have had a brief look at the regs for High Capacity RPT ops and there's nothing specified regarding hours. (This was done to keep Qantas happy a few years ago)
CAO 82.0, 82.3, 82.5
However, if Virgin Blue or any one else decides to put in their Operations Manual that they require 500 hours in command on multi engine aircraft then that is their right. I am not knocking your experience nor am I saying that they're right. Virgin Blue just prefer more experience in the LHS than what is stipulated in the regs. Also, the flying in Australia isn't SID-ILS as is more commonly found in Europe. (yes, I know there are exceptions).

Since you'd be able to get command reasonably quickly in the UK then the lack of command time becomes a moot point.