PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 30th May 2004, 17:15
Jonnypiano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What A Levels and Degree?!

Hi, I don't know whether this is the right forum category to post this question to, but there are so many, so this seemed the most appropriate at the time.

I'm 16 years old and I'm currently doing my GCSE exams. I am determined to become an airline pilot, but am not sure about what to study in order to stand out enough in order to become one.

My current status is as follows. For A-Level I have chosen to take Maths, Physics, Computing and Music Technology. The reason I take Maths is because it will support Physics and is a good subject to have, and is necessary for my current university intentions. Maths is also good for Computing, and both Computing and Physics would be good for being an Airline Pilot. Music Technology is a break from the other 3 subjects as I have a large interest in music also. I plan, or planned, to study Aerospace Engineering at Bristol University. I currently take part in Virtual Aviation (VATSIM) - www.vatsim.net - and am yet to go up in a light aircraft with a friend, but that's it.

I currently despise maths GCSE, but have been told that maths A-Level - Mechanics, which I am taking - is a lot more 'fun'. However, this is coming from somebody doing a MEng degree at UMIST and has a big interest in engineering. People on the VATSIM forums have told me that I should do the subjects that I enjoy and will do well in, not the subjects that I think airlines want me to study. They also say that Maths A-level isn't really required for being a pilot, nor is any Engineering degree at University, but of course, Maths is required for an Engineering degree.

I want to be able to go to university and study SOMETHING, however, but I really am not sure what to study. My main interests lie in Aviation of course, Filmmaking, and Music. I wouldn't really want to study music though, as I'm not a serious musician.

I have also been advised that I personally might not like an Engineering course, and to be honest I'm surprised I am planning on taking such a course as a few years ago I would never have pictured me taking an engineering course.

So at the moment, I'm stumped for what course at university to study, thus what A-Levels to do. One thing I'm currently sure about is that I would get full pilot training with CTC-McAlpine, and then try and get employment with Easyjet, fingers crossed that I'd get employed.

I would be grateful for any suggestions that people may have concerning what to study at University, and thus what A-Levels to study.

Thanks