PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling & Spinning
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2004, 10:38
BEagle

Received 343 Likes on 119 Posts
M1.1 is absolutely spot-on. A clearer and more lucid explanation of stalling I have yet to read.

However, I have certainly found that the departure from controlled flight in a T67A is far more violent when a deliberately provoked dynamic stall is carried out in the turn with an aft CG than with a forward CG. Perhaps not so much the actual stall as the post-departure gyrations!

The point made about dents etc in the wing is very apt. Recently one of our a/c suffered a significant dent in the outboard wing leading edge. After the damage had been assessed by a licensed engineer and the a/c cleared for a flight to the maintnenance organisation for repair, I carried out a low speed handling check down to the stall so that there wouldn't be any nasty surprises on landing at the maintnenance aerodrome. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it exhibited marked wing drop at the stall!

whatunion has stimulated this debate; however, I do share the opinion that those in current instructional practice are better placed to give advice on stall recovery. Centralising the controls in the incipient stage of a spin will normally stop the spin becoming fully developed; however, there is no such thing as a 'standard' spin recovery! The only approved recovery technique is as per the aircraft's POH.