PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the Persian/Arabian Gulf
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2004, 19:58
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
If you would prefer single status living in crap accommodation for a bit more money then there are other operators in the Gulf better equipped.

Dave ([email protected])

Dave,

I think ,upon reading my post again to make sure I said what I thought I had said....the above quote from yours is what jangled your chain....when compared to my statement that $50,000 US local tax free was no big deal. That is what a great many of American pilots are making now...after paying US Taxes and being able to live at home.

Anyone that does not think the potential for being a target for some Paradise Bound Extremist exists in the Middle East or downtown Brooklyn for that matter...needs a reality check. I will accept that Bahrain, Dubai, and some other places in that part of the world are much better than some others...but still Bubba ain't welcome by all of the locals.

I do not walk in fear of them...have very recently entertained a potential offer to fly in Baghdad...and when a formal offer is made...will decide what to do based upon the totality of the offer to include pay and duties compared to risks. I will freely admit that $50,000 dollars per year to live in the Middle East full time is not enough to draw me there...in fact...that is not very far from the pay I got for my first Middle East gig way back in the early 70's.

You answered the question of why you do not pay more....you can get guys to work for such wages until they can find something better....not an attitude I would hold out as being the one I would endorse as a manager and don't in actuality. I want to locate, recruit, hire, and retain good people...and keep them until they retire. It makes life a lot nicer for all concerned.