PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to get behind CVT
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2004, 15:35
warkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QUOTE/ Not 100% sure how it works. Can't be 1% for every £50k I don't think - the weighted average council tax in Warwick DC is £1,190 per household so a 1% rise across all tax bands would generate about another £635,000 per annum.

Are you sure it wasn't £1 per £50k? That would add up better.

Perhaps someone who knows more about how council tax works could provide a more accurate estimate of the real rate rise people will experience?
/QUOTE

The £1,190 per hopusehold I would take it is total council tax, i.e. Parish Tax, District Tax, County tax and Fire/Police tax.

I have checkd my figures with my accounts department (I am in a local authority near to WDC in a district council of the same size)

The figures are worked out as follows (WDC will be slightly different as their Band D (The level used as thye base for all CT figures) I think, are the highest in the County)

A 1% increase in tax will bring in £52,349 i.e. £52,000 for round numbers. The figure is calculated by looking at the total amount we are intending to collect from Council Tax for the council this year and taking 1%.
The problem is that residents (perfectly reasonably) don't see things in isolation. So their property may well not be a Band D to start with, and then there are the parish precept, WCC and Police elements as well.
It's the parish/town element which can really skew things. For example, in Parish 1 it is £100.76 - just under the District councils figure figure; whereas in Parish 2 it is £29.55p, which is just below the average parish/town precept of £34.85p.

So, yes, 1% is approx £50,000, but possibly a little more in Warwick without the actual figures for WDC on its own, without parish/town, counnty police etc elements I can only guess. but as they are the same size in terms of population, its is a rough guide and close enough.

Hope that helps.