PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash of a B17/B24 Bobbington - South Staffordshire
Old 27th May 2004, 10:18
Rote 8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash of a B17/B24 Bobbington - South Staffordshire

My father and I are trying to conduct some background research into the crash of an aircraft on our family farm just outside Bobbington in South Staffordshire. (The farm itself lies just across the county border in Shropshire) According to local testimony the aircraft was a four-engined bomber and the crew were apparently American so I am guessing that the aircraft would be either a B17 or B24.

We suspect the crash took place in 1942 but could have been later in the war. There were some eyewitnesses working on the farm at the time who were apparently planting sugar beet, this is only of interest in that it almost certainly means that the month was either April or May. In so far as I am aware none of those witnesses are still with us.

The story goes that the aircraft was positioning from (allegedly, but likely I would have thought) a base in Lincolnshire to somewhere down south and after encountering problems made a precautionary landing at Halfpenny Green. At the time the airfield would probably have been known as RAF Bobbington. It was changed to Halfpenny Green in September 1943 to avoid any confusion with RAF Bovingdon. Following the precautionary landing the aircraft was given a brief inspection but no technical problems were found and the crew were apparently unwilling to remain on the field for a more thorough investigation as they had an apparently pressing deadline.

Shortly after the aircraft became airborne once more from Bobbington they suffered more severe problems and the aircraft crashed in a wooded copse adjacent to the farm just outside the village of Bobbington.

We believe that there were eight on board and all were lost although one of the gunners (apparently the tail gunner) may have survived.

Could anyone offer help in how to best go about finding out a little more about what happened to this aircraft and its crew? Thanks in advance to anyone who could offer any help.