PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Orders More Winglets.
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2004, 06:44
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Kwaj mate,

Some interesting points you raised ....

"It is estimated that for smaller airline fleets the 738W is more economical to operate over the A320, by about USD1.5m per annum." I have heard this before, but it does not take into account the amount of money you have to pay Aviation Partners for the winglets, which costs you 2-3 years worth of savings. Over shorter routes, the winglets are more of a hassle then help, you need more time to slow the aircraft down, leaving it airbone longer. VB I understand does nto have them on aircraft that just do east coast routes for this reason.

The 738W has a Fuel/pax/nm (kg) of 0.0465, which is the same as the A321, the A320 is 0.0443, i.e. the differance between Fuel/pax/nm (kg) for the 738W and A320 is 4.87% (A320 being more efficent). This would mean a 738W would burn about 500,000l more fuel per year than an A320 over the same flight hours. Over a fleet if 20 aircraft, this is a savings of 8 million tonnes of fuel per year.

If your figures are different, I would be more than please to see them.

Maintenance - for new aircraft, parts warranty would cover parts costs for A or B. The A320 is quicker than the 738W, I am told by about M0.02, which would reduce maintenance and fuel costs.

A319/320/321 all have ULD capability, 737OG, 737NG, 757 do not.

"For single aircraft fleets the Boeing is much more efficient”. Easyjet are replacing the 737 with A319, Virgin US ordering 100+ A320 series, JetBlue with a large A320 series fleet. Airlines in our region such as Asiana Airlines, Valuair, Tiger Airwars, Sichuan Airlines, Air Macau, Dragonair, Silkair, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, SriLankan Airlines, TransAsia Airways, Vietnam Airlines, Zhejiang Airlines, Jetstar all have it wrong then ? The only one I have seen reversing the trend towards buying airbus in our region ANA which I believe is replacing their A320/A321s with 738W for short sectors, where I am told the Dash 8-400 would actually do the flight quicker (not with the loads tho) !

Low cost carriers, don’t really care if they are late, they do care if they depart on-time, but the box will be set up for econ, I have heard of 737NG going YSSY-YSCH at FL400+ as the box reckons in econ mode this is the best, not going to give you the quickest flight time, but will reduce fuel burn, but increase maintenance costs.

I am just a lowly motor plane driver…so if you could educate me of fleet selection I appreciate it.