PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS on the 730 report Tonight (Wed)
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2004, 03:54
Ushuaia

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Schedule before safety, eh, Mr Smith?

That philosophy comes across in your views last night on conducting a design safety case. Rather than consulting and involving ALL stakeholders to design a new modern airspace system, ensuring the new system works properly and is safe, you just want it, something, implemented on schedule. Doesn't matter if the stakeholders have problems with it, just implement it. This succinctly sums up why most professional pilots in this country have such a low opinion of you. As a 7000 hr RPT pilot I have sat alongside a LOT of other professional pilots. Not one of them has had a good word for you. I have tried to keep an open mind towards you but you have continually destroyed any good will, usually with attitudes like this one.

I am all for change, but structured, properly managed change, where stakeholders participate, are empowered and own the outcome. That is how you produce quality outcomes. It's basic, modern management stuff. The NAS management process has been a disgrace and belongs in the 19th century. 95% of people flying in Australia do so as passengers on RPT or charter aircraft (source: Aust Bureau of Stats). The NAS outcome is that flying for the 95% is less safe then pre Nov 27. There is simply NO argument about it - from my 7000hr RPT viewpoint, that is FACT. How on earth did the 5% private flyers achieve THAT? Now that's an empowered, quality outcome involving all stakeholders.... NOT.

Final thought: Professional pilots think SAFETY BEFORE SCHEDULE, you think SCHEDULE BEFORE SAFETY. Therein lies a serious disconnect between you and the professional aviation industry, Mr Smith.

Last edited by Ushuaia; 27th May 2004 at 04:12.