PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Groundschool
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2004, 21:27
TubularBells

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL Groundschool

Hello!

I have a little problem which I could do with some advice on. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I'm due to go to the bank tomorrow and discuss my plans with them and to try and wrench the required money out of their hands to start my training.

I've spent a lot of time looking into schools all over and finally made a choice about two weeks ago. Out of four schools I short listed, it was the best option, considering many different factors.

I've also laid down a deposit for the ATPL ground school module.

My problem lies with this module.

I've found out today from someone who is actually on the same module, that things aren’t all they seem. I am being told by this individual that: The instructors are sub-standard (one instructor has only a PPL, 100 hours and ATPLs passed, but no CPL - please tell me if this is possible? ); The notes are poor and require many additional note sheets; the facilities limited and the pass marks appalling.

I'm also being told that many others who are on the same module are voicing their worries about their time there so far, and that generally some sort of wide spread classroom panic is setting in.

Now my concerns here are two fold. Firstly, how the hell could I have missed this when I did all my research? Second, how far do I take the advice of the individual who told me this information?

What determines a good instructor in the classroom? Should I expect notes, an OHP and someone who reads it to me? Or should I be expecting more that this? Should I be aiming for the big schools, with animated presentations and Computer aided learning?

Is it usual for students to find the start very difficult, i.e. getting low marks in the assessments?

I guess from the above, you may be able to see that I am beginning to worry, and for babbling on, I apologise. I just can't afford (in both senses of the word) to start this all off on the wrong foot.

Any and all comments, gratefully received!

Best regards,

TB.