PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Flying Instructer UK?
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2004, 15:44
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatunion,

Interesting words of wisdom there - thanks! Out of interest, how do you know that the "********" (seems to be a favourite word of yours, you've used it on a couple of threads!) is giving you the correct information? Isn't it far better to point your student to a written record? This has the benefit that a) you know the information is correct, and b) your student knows where to find the information himself in future.

LASORS comprises two sections. The first of these, LAS, is described as "a ready source of advice for individuals who are: commencing or engaged in flight training, upgrading flight crew licenses, revalidating or renewing their ratings or seeking to add ratings to existing licenses."

No reason you should know of its existance if you've been out of instructing for 14 years, since it only appeared for the first time a couple of years ago, but I would suggest that the vast majority of people who are currently involved in flight training (whether an instructor or a student) would know of it, and it is generally accepted that it can be treated as definitive since it contains relevant sections of legislation (both the ANO and JARs) - indeed if you contact the CAA with a licensing question they, too, will often give the answer "look in LASORS". For the benefit of you and anyone else who isn't familiar with it, though, the on-line version can be found here. I normally post this link whenever I refer to LASORS, but I seem to have omitted to do so in my earlier post - sorry.

FFF
---------------