PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus and ECAM systems
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2004, 11:43
Marcel_MPH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus and ECAM systems

Hi all,
I have a question regarding the following incident a few years ago. A Lufthansa A320 went for some technical complaints into a general check. During this check the controll surfaces connections were all being looked after by deconnect them and reinstall them. During the reinstallation of the wires, left and right were not correctly installed making the aircraft bank right when a left bank was initiated by the pilot and the other way around. This was noticed by the PF (captain) during take-off when he tried to correct a slight right bank due to some crosswind. This made the aircraft bank even further to right while the wing almost made contact with the ground. The PNF (co-pilot) anticepating quickly, took over controll and made a safe landing.

I guess before every flight (during taxi most of the time) all control surfaces are checked by moving the controll units (on both sides) and verify these movements on the lower ECAM. I wonder how this ECAM is connected in relation with the "controll unit" and the controll surfaces. Does the lower ECAM display the movement of the surfaces like they are moving (so any irregularity can be observed before it becomes a serious incident) or does it show the "side-stick" movement initiated by the pilot himself?

Thanks in advance,

Marcel_MPH