PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Flying and Training (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2004, 10:28
Ascend Charlie

Received 237 Likes on 110 Posts
You need to be an instrument flyer at night.

Worst case of the leans i ever had was at night. A navex to Double Island Point, at the end of a sparsely-inhabited island on a moonless night. We got to the turning point, and rolled into the turn. I then turned my head to look at the lighthouse on the end of the island and got the coriolis effect (?? some other effect? I forget) when two of the ear canals are turning and induce movement in the third.

I looked at the fingers of light rotating through the mist and felt like I was falling backwards out of my seat.

Only by locking onto the clocks did I overcome these intense feelings of falling.

As Cap'n Rich says, night can be fun - all the ugly bits of a city disappear into the black, the lights look like fairyland, and it is only when you wonder about where you will go if the engine goes on holidays, that it becomes scary.

Do you head for a lit highway? Do you land WITH the flow of traffic? Or against it? If you go against, the cars have the best chance of seeing you coming, landing light in the eyes and such, and maybe avoid you. But the closing speed is much higher.

If you go with the flow, closing speeds are less, but the traffic will not see you until you appear in their window, in the flare, and they are up your clacker at 60 mph.

Any ideas?