PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of the helicopter is electric.
Old 23rd May 2004, 12:30
handyandyuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so bypassing the flat/round electron arguments on this one (although personally I'd think flat ones would be more practical purely on storage grounds), the main restriction point on this one would seem to be battery technology.
So.... in a car, the battery is used to provide energy to operate the starter and then as a constantly topped up reservoir for all other electrical usage (assuming the alternator is working).
So (2)... why not have this E22 or R22e set up to have two drive motors (both driving a main gb as per a normal twin) and also driving a pair of (or just one) high output alternators. You'd still have batteries, but only sufficient storage to run up to initial speed until the alts took over and also provide say 5 mins power should both alts fail - thus enough for say 2 mins emergency manouvering or to get safely into auto.
Granted, the oil companies would do everything possible to avoid the idea getting anywhere, but once it got certified, even with a slightly higher initial cost, I could see them selling very well indeed..... no fuel costs, massively reduced engine maint costs... the pollution bonus, the noise bonus. Potentially, could do masses for the whole helo industry.

But that's just my 2 penneth, not that I don't love the smell of avtur in the morning.... cos I don't