PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Jet
Thread: Sea Jet
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2004, 10:52
Vapour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Absolutely none that present sufficient a threat to the UK to justify retention of the SHAR.
CVF and F-35 will be a very flexible concept, SHAR and CVS are not-fact!"

You are correct. CVF and F-35 will indeed be very flexible. However, I would put it to you that JFH (inlcuding GR 7/9s and FA2s) is a lot more flexible than a purely GR7/9 force.

As to threats to the fleet, I note, merely as an example, that the British Government didn't wake up to the threat from Germany, Italy and Japan until 1935. Until then they had been operating under the assumption that there would be a 10-year lead in to any major war allowing the build up of sufficent forces to counter the threat. 4 years later, not 10, we were involved in a major European war. I'm not saying that this is likely to happen in this case, but a big risk is being taken that between 2006-12 (assuming procurement of CVF and JSF doesn't slip right) the fleet will not come under threat from any aircraft or missile that can't be countered by Sea Dart or PAAMS. 8 years is quite long enough for the possibility that the world will look quite different from today. Obviously this is a risk that the government is willing to take. I can go along with this, reluctantly, as long as I'm not then expected to sit up threat in a Type 42 that has long since passed obsolesence and try and cover the gap with a missile notable mainly for its historic value.