PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autos: To drop, or not to drop
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2004, 00:06
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The question is, with such high pitch angles could the flare effects be sufficient to keep the RRPM in the green if you did nothing to the collective?
charlie s charlie, during maximum glide training in an R22 (90% RRPM @ 75 KIAS), my previous instructor elected to perform the procedure all the way to the ground (his idea - not mine). This is contraindicated by POH, which says "Increase rotor RPM to 97% minimum when autorotating below 500 feet AGL."

Anyway, maximum glide configuration is probably one of the more challenging maneuvers and it's something that really needs to be practiced. It actually takes LARGE AMOUNTS OF COLLECTIVE to bring the R22's RRPM down to 90% (and keep it there, that is at 75 KIAS). Hence, you get the high pitch angles mentioned above.

When we got to the bottom, he began a standard flare. As soon he pulled back on the cyclic, the RRPM shot up and we immediately began to climb (abruptly)! He corrected by dumping the collective at that time, but I was AMAZED at how different a light weight R22 will behave with only a 10 knot increase (not to mention the low RPM horn blaring in your ear for what seems to be an eternity).