PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Plane Only 800M From Disaster.
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2004, 12:10
itchybum

Location: Over 250 posts so far. Perhaps I support Pprune by posting regularly.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...who said it?

...both Boeing 767-300s, took evasive action after onboard computers alerted the crews to the danger
I guess the journo who wrote the article said it. Did you bother to read it?

The only "computers" I know of which are capable of alerting crews to the danger are known as TCAS. As you know, slamer, the units in BOTH aircraft work together to obtain the appropriate RAs to issue to the two seperate crews, thereby avoiding both crews taking the same action (eg climb) and continuing on collision paths.

Turns do not come into the equation. If I'm wrong someone will let me know, I'm sure. Anyway, fat lot of good initiating the turn did if they still passed practically "over the top" of Qantas.

"System worked as advertised"... Which system are you talking about?

I know I don't have to tell you, slamer, that TCASII RAs represent aircraft entering the warning area, 15-35 seconds from the collision area. Does that sound like 800m to you? If the crew waited until 800m horizontal seperation to begin the manoeuvre (which I seriously doubt) then I would not call that an example of "the system (any system) working as advertised". I'd say it's more likely to be inaccurate reporting (yet again).

Regarding the accuracy of the report, it's a bit hard to maintain 5nm seperation with opposite direction traffic (seperated as correctly stated by 1000ft).

What does the frequency have to do with it? What are you talking about?

By the way, what was the FO doing with his head up looking at the NZ a/c, shouldn't he be inside following (or monitoring) the RA commands? If he was giving the bird, well, I guess that's ok then...

Well done to the guys for handling their TCAS RA.