PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Role Playing situations or scenarios from your experience?
Old 22nd May 2004, 11:30
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
expedite

I would argue the merits of your answers to the following questions;
2)YOu are FO.YOur captain shows up wth what seems to be the smell of liquor on his breath. What would you do? Why? Other options? - Ask him if he is happy to fly, inform him he should think about going sick, if he says he wants to fly say your feeling ill. Flight doesn't opperate.
Well, I would suggest if you went home ill they would find another F/O and the flight would operate. In effect you have not dealt with the situation and just 'passed the buck'. What if they reject and he screws it up with the (new, inexperienced F/O) who replaced you and never noticed what you noticed?

6)YOu are the captain. YOu observe a passenger giving a flight attendant a hard time. Woudl you intervene?Would you get involved? -YES, ask what the problem is, remember you are responsible for the whole aircraft, remind him of this.
I think you will find that 'YES' in this situation is in-appropriate. Things have changed since 9/11 and what you have to remember is that your primary task is the safety of the 'whole aircraft and the persons on-board'. Endangering all the other passengers and crew by getting involved and being (potentially) physically assualted and possibly incapacitated does no-one any favours. You also have to consider the rather obvious potential diversionary tactic that the unscrupulous my be using to get just the reaction you mention........

8)Under what circumtances do you feel that FO would be justified in taking control of the aircraft away from the captain? -Incapacitation. If the captain is ill, or looking ill, or is flying in a very unsafe way.
Not sure if you intended to imply that incapacitation would be the only time to take control. I think it goes much broader than that, to the point where I would take control whenever the safe conduct of the flight was being compromised and the captain was not responding appropriately. This then takes you into the more intricate decision making like the captain busting DA. this is a great one and everyone says they would take control. Well how about this;

You (PNF) call "100 above.......decide(at 200'AGL)". He replies "continue..."

Are you going to take control there? I don't think so, you're going to say (more forcefully) something like "Negative, DECIDE!" Using good body language, perhaps turning your head towards him and leaning into his peripheral vision and pointing an open hand at him as you say it, forcefully. That tells him that he's not following a recognised SOP, you are NOT HAPPY as the safety of the flight is being compromised and hopefully the 'jolt' will make him see the error of his ways and get him to make the call to go-around.

What if he, cool as a cucumber, says "continue!" again? Now is the time that I would CONSIDER taking control. Why consider? Well, by the time I have challenged him about his first (non-standard) call of continue, we have probably sailed through 150'AGL. If we then broke out of cloud and were stable on the approach the better airmanship decision now MAY be to let him continue to land. This has happened before and I know captains (who were F/Os at the time) who have been in this situation. You must remember that the surprise to you of him saying 'continue' will take a few seconds for you to compute and realise the implications. by then he may have achieved his goal of getting below minima and seing the lights. I would certainly have something to say once the engines were shut down, like, "captain here's the ASR report form that we need"

If we're still in the clag then I am going to take control. That then begs the obvious 'what if he doesn't want to give you control?' question............. I'll leave you to work out your options on that one............

PP