PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tales of An Old Aviator .... The Big Chill
Old 22nd May 2004, 00:02
Duke Elegant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite a few posts ago , I told of the Cessna 206 Amphib that landed with the wheels down on the cold and wet Alberni Inlet and crashed onto its back right in front of me.

Since then I lost another friend when his Cessna 206 went on its back landing on a lake with the wheels down.

A reader of my tales posted this story on another site and I share it with you in the hope that these accidents point out the discipline that is required when flying floats/wheels.

JP11

Flown: Whole bunch of little ones on: wheels, skis, straight floats, amphib floats. Some with 1,2, or no engine.

Civ/Mil: Civilian

Ratings: ATP, seaplane glider -SF340, Ce-560XL

Current Position:

Total Time: 5800

Excellent
Duke-

I couldn't stop reading the thread. spent all morning in front of the computer.

Great tales.

I saw that one with the wheels down on the floats coming.

I flew amphibs for a couple years. Same exact problem on one of the ratty 206s we bought when the guy I was working for tried to expand into Costa Rica.

Well.. they got sick of pulling the breaker to stop the pump. They got high tech and wired in a switch! Unlabed on the dash.

So.. bout 6 months after I left (told em I was done, did 3 more weeks and bailed out)

They take off in the 206. Put up the handle.. and off they go.

Fat guy from the sates who owns the operation is down there floating along in this rubber raft in a lake by the volcanoe. He sees the 206 flying by.. they have the wheels hanging (they had done the same thing.. put the handle up.. it unlocks the green lights, but never got the floats up enough to light the blue ones)

So.. fat guy is waving frantically to tell them wheels are hanging. They think he wants them to land.

They set up for a beautiful landing right next to the bosses raft. He gets a front row seat to watch it flip.

The plane was a rat. He tries to sink it by punching holes in the floats after it is flipped. Too many people around and he has to give that up.

This is just shortly after they had landed a caravan on amphibs so hard as to push the float struts right up through INTO the fuselage.

Too funny. Guess I had good timing bailing from that outfit.

Keep the stories coming. I'll gladly help paint that boat hull in two years with you.

JP

I am having trouble with new posts tagging onto the last one....

Last edited by Duke Elegant; 22nd May 2004 at 00:58.