PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC separate VFR traffic!
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2004, 23:54
Crash and Burn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unbelieveable

TC Luton,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't VFR flight in the U.K. a day only event?

As for those interested as to where in the U.K. this occurred, is it also possible by the amount of interest that those posting here might be have tried the same stunt to reduce their workload?

Potentially, the person involved could be loudest defending their action.

Incidentally, if those you read above scroll back to the comment on giving avoiding action when requested by the commander of an IFR item, please explain why you give avoiding action to the VFR item. As a Commander, if I ask for avoiding action, I would expect it to be given to me since the VFR item is obviously happy with his position in relation to my aircraft. After all if the VFR pilot has placed his aircraft into a venerable position there is nothing to suggest that this commander will correctly or efficiently complete the instruction you might give. Additionally, if that commander has got his aircraft on the wrong side of the drag curve and in an inappropriate configuration, there might be little he can do in the time available, but if you tell us early enough, we at least can attempt to manoeuvre to minimise the effect of our vortex descending onto the light aircraft potentially beneath. I understand it's a judgement call that you ATC guys make and to date I have had no cause to complain. I appreciate that there are a vast range of pilot competencies out there and no doubt the 'Sunday drivers' of the PPL fraternity are a little rusty to say the least. However refering to the origin of this thread and from my Air Law days at college I was under the understanding that ATC could delay a clearance, not withhold it because they felt like it!

I remember one particular aerodrome about ten years ago, who insisted when booking out the commander had to include their grade of license. I thought this was a brilliant idea, for those with CPL's / ATPL's, we got wheeled and dealed around the sky. It wasn't that the PPL and student pilot's got worse treatment, they simply didn't have the experience to react quickly to changing events that more experienced pilots had either already anticipated or could easily adapt to. No doubt this booking out procedure no longer exists for 'duty of care' reasons, although if I were a controller, I would like to know the person I am taking to has some grey stuff between their ears.