PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU / USA open skies negotiations
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2004, 14:14
Iron City

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it is all EU or nothing. No side agreements with Ireland or whatever, eh. The last agreement I saw between the US and the "EU" had all the countries names on it too and it was definately on trade. At ICAO the EU is an observer organization and has no vote. Bottom line is the EU is a organization that is still being born and growing up to acquire attributes of a state. When it does acquire these attributes it can use them and there will be no more vote for France, Germany, UK, etc, just one EU vote.

As a trade or economic or customs block or union the EU is substantial sized and a factor in global aviation but should not think it has such tremendous leverage that it can make the rest of the world do things that are not in their interest. Why the US should allow cabotage and essentially free access to the US market to EU airlines is beyond me. It is not in the interest of the US to do this if the trade is access to the EU market on the same basis. EU is big but not that big and not that attractive. Air transportation is needed by many more people in the US because the US is a lot bigger geographicly and does not have the passenger rail network Europe does, so the proportion of people in the US that travel by air is much greater than in Europe, so a Euro bellybutton is not as attractive as a US bellybutton (economically, that is...have seen some amazingly attractive Euro bellybuttons)

Maybe it is also time to get rid of thequaint notion that airlines or any other corporation is a national of any particular state except to need someplace to be incorporated. Most all airlines I can think of are not particularly loyal to a State except for the cash, preferential treatment or subsidies that can be extracted. Owners of corporations really don't care about anything but making money in most situations, and what they are doing in the airline business if that is their goal is beyond me. MAybe it is just a ego trip.