PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cape Flying Services...south Africa
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2004, 09:15
PPRuNe Towers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prospector and blues africa,

I'm writing because I'm sure your posts have produced a lot of nodding heads at your apparently wise words. I'm also stepping up to bat because of what could appear to be the instinctive defence of a part of South African aviation.

Folks from abroad wanting to learn can only get information from magazines and websites. Have a look at what they are reading. The marketing spin is all they have to go on. They don't know any wise, experienced people, they don't even know PPRuNe exists or the information they can get here.

All the wise words don't mean a thing if you criticise the inexperienced customer but don't say a word about the crap put out by the schools and agents.

I think your respect for schools in general is undeserved. They are the ones knowingly building unrealistic expectations amongst foreign sales prospects. The training schools in Florida and now SA are getting a desperate reputation for their marketing claims, hidden costs and use of commission based agents.

Eventually, and I actually mean now, good schools end up suffering just as much as the bad ones. This will go on for as long as experienced pilots never challenge the honesty and integrity of the marketing by schools. You guys are the problem for accepting the claims of 3 week courses from a position of knowledge, just shrugging your shoulders and crying caveat emptor to the naive and enthusiastic.

You don't put up with bull**** from GA operators and airlines because it effects you or your colleagues - you hammer them with the reality. However, not one word ever from an African about the schools specious claims, hidden charges and unrealistic suggestions.

When every ad for non UK schools filling the back of the magazines competes with the one next to it by making totally unrealistic claims it is the schools' problem and not the punters. Any other argument is fatuous. You in SA are compounding the problem by supporting schools. Read their marketing material before the kneejerk defence of South African schools.

Rob Lloyd