PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Complacency in crew handling of engine fire drills.
Old 20th May 2004, 13:20
Crowsnest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Points taken.

I realise that what we are taught nowadays is the finer evolution of procedures descended from incident reports such as this (and from theoretical exercises in the aforementioned simulator), yet it is my humble opinion that unless panic had descended upon the flight-deck, "someone" forgetting to fire the bottles would be a situation unlikely to happen as;

1. The Crew would have already confirmed the effected engine and run the Memory Items.

2. These would have been backed up by the printed QRH or equivalent.

I do, however, accept the assertion that in a heavy a/c on a hot day with one engine out, the rate of climb might have a fair bit to do with the curvature of the Earth.

By the time, in the worst case, the QRH had picked up the belated firing of the bottles and the second bottle had been fired after the realisation that the fire had not been extinguished, the elapsed time could well be in the region of two minutes.

The question is; how long do the fusible plugs (or equivalent) last, and would it be safer to cut corners in safety (confirmation of the engine, flap retraction on schedule, climb to MSA and backup drills) by splitting the attention of the Crew while the PNF does an early extinguishing drill?

I believe the second question answers itself, and that until a fully automatic Fire extinguishing system is fitted this may be the way it stays.

A degree of operational inexperience in such matters is admitted and comments are welcomed.