PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of the helicopter is electric.
Old 20th May 2004, 11:36
delta3
Passion Flying Hobby Science Sponsor Work

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would you want to use batteries ?

My craizy theory is that for more than 30 years Oil companies have (partially) sponsored battery research projects in the car industry to make shure we would still use lots of fosil fuels, because batteries simply are not the answer.
One of the interesting research outcomes is for instance that using a small solar panel, driving a little fan can efficiently cool the car in the summer on the parking : bid deal ...

A small calculation shows how inefficient batteries are :

A diesel can get 30-38% effficiency.
A fosile power plant max 38%, Nuclear because of safety 33%, say average 35%
Transmission efficiency is 95%, battery loading 95%, electrical motor efficiency 90%.
Together : 35%*95%*95%*90%= 28%
Storage, distribution of fuel is far easier, the current power system simply cannot transport these amounts, certainly not if peak power is wanted (for charging).

The remaining 60% in cars and helicopters is also used for heating, so the total 'co-generation' efficiency is higher than 30-38%, I would say by at least 5%, certainly in helicopters where you tend to encounter colder air.

Ecologically speaking : what to do with all the cupper and most important the batteries that are far from ecological.

I would stick to a diesel.