PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A/c unsure of position - A/G acting like Radar Unit!
Old 19th May 2004, 09:19
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Jaywalker, thanks for your input but I don't think we are talking about the same location!

I don't want tp reveal the identity of the aerodrome concerned but it was definitely A/G and I am sure Chilli Monster knows where I am refering to!

Generally the unit is intelligently managed but this incident made my hair stand on end. I get very worried when people don't seem to appreciate how they can be affected by liability and potential lawsuits!

Equally bad, whilst writing, are those pilots who arrive at an airfield served by A/G, AFISO obviously expecting some form of control service - hardly a week goes by without one hearing "Am I cleared to join right base, etc?".

I never ask for joining "instructions" at these airfields since the operator is not entitled to give you any instructions - all you are asking for is "information".

Then we had a transit call up asking for "conflicting traffic" on a nice VFR day. They seem to think that even if they can see the one aircraft they have been told about that there is nobody else out there! Keep a good lookout, I say, at ALL times.

Equally useless is to be told there is "circuit traffic" - a simple system in the tower would be able to at least tell us "there are three REPORTED in the circuit". Otherwise we would be better off without any radio at all!

Rant over - pith helmet donned.