PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tattoos and Airlines
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2004, 08:16
er82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>every tattoed, pierced yoof trying for a job in the airlines<<

OOOppppsssss. Never classed myself as a yoof before. Went to flying school at 18, finished all training at 19, first airline job at 20. I have a tattoo (not visible) and a pierced navel. Are you telling me that because I have these two things I am not worthy of flying commercially for an airline? If so, why?

As far as I'm concerned, in this day and age if your tattoo isn't visible, then it should make absolutely no difference whatsoever as to whether you are suitable for an airline job or not. I can't really understand the prejudice behind tattoos nowadays. If it's because it may make someone look 'scruffy', then I also think every man with an un-kept beard should me made to shave it off.

If you have worked your butt off throughout your training and come out with decent grades, good flying reports etc, you have a decent attitude and personality and would be able to work in a confined space with another crew member who may have different religious and political views to you, and are able to operate an aircraft safely, why the hell should it matter whether at a young age, when perhaps you might not have known better, you had a part of your body decorated with some ink????? There are far worse things you could have done.

I did know what I was doing when I had my tattoo - I don't blame it on an inebriated session. I am also about to get my second one. Again, not visible - unless of course I was to fly with no shirt on! I am intelligent - not some yoof, and whilst others may not like tattoos, it would be wrong of airlines to discirminate against those who do have them.