PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC separate VFR traffic!
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2004, 21:11
ILS 119.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of things really. Firstly I used to be an ATCO, and after 20 years of working in the business(15 years flying for BA) I feel I know what I am talking about rather than having some of you make sarcastic comments. The idea of transferring VFR a/c to LARS units was because these units are paid to handle the traffic. There is no doubt as to the professionalism of the unit, but if the unit is getting paid to provide the service then what's wrong with that. I have spent many years flying both professionally and for a hobby and believe me I have always received a good service from most ATC Units. There is no obligation to work VFR outside CAS unless you are providing a LARS. I agree that each unit should provide the best service available but what about the commercial/financial constraints which are placed on ATC Units? It must be to provide the best service to the airport's own scheduled a/c. The airport does not make any money from providing services to other a/c. Also there is no "them and us", everybody is treated the same as far as I'm concerned.
I think the whole isue comes down to the type of airspace. I only fly Class A now which is good for me. But for the aviators who don't then maybe different.
Off to bed now, MCO in the morning.
Take care