PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7e7 side stick?
Thread: 7e7 side stick?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2004, 11:03
A-FLOOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Override

As a matter of fact, I worked for a company at Schiphol that used to be a part of the great Fokker company, and was salvaged after Fokker Aircraft B.V. went belly-up. I learned that there was at some point talk of outfitting the F70 and F100 with force-loaded sidesticks.

Ofcourse this was never implemented because the implementation of airworthy force-loading systems is very expensive, and Fokker, like Boeing, was always a company that paid a lot attention to the way their planes handle and therefor pure airmanship, and I believe the people who are lucky enough to fly Fokkers today can certainly vouch for that!

Naturally, the pilots themselves and most old-school manufacturers speak from an airmanship point of view and mostly prefer the yoke, and the airlines speak from a beancounter POV and prefer the sidestick so they can save a lot of weight, and you (the airman) can have your super-duper laptop and paperwork on a tray to perform your tasks in a comfortable way and make the airplane run with utmost efficiency in normal conditions. The success of the Airbus FBW aircraft is ofcourse thanks to the latter having the upper hand these days.

Furthermore, I learned that the F70NG and F100NG, which will hopefully be announced at Farnborough this summer, will feature some kind of flight-envelope protection system like Airbus. Whether or not this will include full FBW and even sidesticks I don't know, but probably not, for the simple reason the design, construction and testing of such a system will absorb copious amounts of money and the system in use today works fine. So why change it eh?