PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A must read - JAA (joint aviation authority???)
Old 15th May 2004, 14:53
BillieBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well! So many misconceptions.
For example, you can't start JAA training here in SA and then go to Ireland or the UK and finish your JAA licence
South Africa is not a member state of the JAA so it's not surprising that you cannot start training there and then continue in a JAA member state. The one JAA school established in South Africa was approved by the UK CAA and was, in the CAA's eyes, exactly the same as any UK approved school. You got a JAA PPL there, as I understand, and there is nothing at all to prevent you from continuing with the CPL/IR/ATPL in any JAA member state. Even if you didn't complete all of the PPL requirements, you may transfer your training to any other FTO or Registered Facility approved by the UK, which is currently your State of Licence Issue.
It also seems that if you obtain a US JAA CPL/Multi IR the UK is very reluctant to except this
Absolutely untrue. Since the UK CAA approves all JAA modular training in the US, it could hardly be reluctant to accept the training provided by the school it approves.
I was unable to obtain a JAA radio licence and now have to get myself on an aeroplane, fly all the way to the UK just to obtain the radio licence so I can submit my test forms and obtain my JAA PPL
The Radio Licence is not a JAA requirement for the issue of a PPL. It is a requirement under UK legislation that pilots hold a FRTOL if they wish to use RT in UK airspace. All that is required is that you have passed the Communications theoretical knowledge examination at PPL level. The PPL and FRTOL are two separate licences under different legislation.