PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A must read - JAA (joint aviation authority???)
Old 15th May 2004, 12:01
birdlady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A must read - JAA (joint aviation authority???)

Hi everyone!!!!

I have a bone to pick with the JAA system - from what I have seen so far it can be very difficult to know where you stand with regard to training (and anything else really).
I have been a member of pprune for only a few months and think it is an absoulutly brillant website full of very useful info. From what I have seen so far, a lot of the topics seem to be concerned with JAA training and converting one countries JAA licence to another and what happens if you start training in one country and then go to another. It seems that a lot of the time this cannot be done. For example, you can't start JAA training here in SA and then go to Ireland or the UK and finish your JAA licence (whether it be PPL, CPL,IR....) there. It also seems that if you obtain a US JAA CPL/Multi IR the UK is very reluctant to except this from what I have heard (anybody who's willing to correct me on this please do). Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the whole point of a JAA licence is to be able to use the licence in any JAA state. This is what I was told in the begining and the only reason why I went with the JAA and not the South African Licence.

I have completed the JAA PPL (some time ago) here in sa and soon after I completed it the school went bankrupt. I was unable to obtain a JAA radio licence and now have to get myself on an aeroplane, fly all the way to the UK just to obtain the radio licence so I can submit my test forms and obtain my JAA PPL. If anyone has got any advice on what I can do with regard to my Radio Licence it would be very much appreciated or if you have got schools I can go to in London to obtain my radio licence in as little time as possible.
Thanks Birdlady