PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 8 year years in the East
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2004, 10:31
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Absolutely...you want to waste money on jet type ratings with only 500 TT you fill your boots.

Then send off resumes to all the asian airlines that own examples of what you're typed on.....and then wait for the replies.

You'll get none but don't get upset....you were, after all, warned.

Go off and build several thousand hours (5+ even better), with some multi turbine command time if possible, and then if you can't get a jet job the old fashioned way, only then think about buying a type rating.

Asian carriers, with a few exceptions, only hire expat captains. Most have localisation programs that mean a large % of the rhs jobs are filled by local cadets.

The Asian airline I work for hires expat first officers who are type rated on their aircraft (B767). I believe their minimum requirements are as above...i.e. 3000 odd TT with command multi turbine time. Whether anyone actually gets employed at that low a TT I'm unsure of.

This airline is one of the very few who will upgrade you, as an expat, to the LHS, along with Cathay, Dragon...in fact if they do not deem you to have command potential from day one they will not employ you.

You're kidding yourself if you believe you will be able to shortcut the system to the extent that you seem to think possible.

Go have some fun, and learn some of what you don't know, for a few years.

Chuck.