PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Trust this equipment" A310 Pilot
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2004, 18:00
chrisN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lu Z, EDDNH, SeniorD, thanks for your postings - very informative.

Lu, maybe it's inevitable that FMEA's (or FMECA's if that is now the vogue terminology) will be done down to more detail by some design teams than others. I would expect some standardisation of approach to be sought by corporate policies, training, etc. and your post suggest that was aimed for but not delivered. The refusal of a contractor to comply seems bizarre, as does the prime manufacturer and subsequently presumably the certification authorities accepting that situation.

SeniorD, the USA version of dispatcher sounds like a positive contribution to the danger-risk-solution process crystallised by EDDNHopper. Seems to me a pity it is not more universal. I would guess (again) that it is perceived (if thought about at all) by others as another up-front cost with uncertain future returns.

So the issues seem to me still to be that danger/risk management is all too often imperfectly performed and with widely varying effectiveness (FME[C]A is a special case of this wider concept, I think); and some people - individuals, corporations, even regulatory bodies, exhibit this variable approach. I remain convinced that where technology (and now I would add some formal processes) could help, it is often resisted for short term cost reasons among others.