PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurofighter Typhoon
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2004, 23:22
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a disparity between numbers of aircraft handed over off PFAT and numbers accepted, and then there's the question of how many actually make it onto 17(R)'s line each day. I was chatting to a journo mate t'other day who's been asking BAE for a pic of four 17 Squadron jets together on the line for some time, and who was frustrated at their inability to provide such a thing.

But whether it's all four 17 jets and one 29 jet or a smaller number than that, it is too early to have any more than a very 'provisional' view of how the aircraft is doing.

It's certainly late. It's also very limited at the moment - no weapons, no helmet, no IRST, no DVI, (no real sensor fusion) and minor glitches are imposing temporary limits on ops. Quite what there is to OT&E is questionable. It's unlikely to be ready in time for the rescheduled squadron stand up dates. It's unlikely to have the required A-G capabilities by the time the Jag bows out.

BUT

It sounds as though it's a great flying machine, it's showing great promise in many areas, the radar's better than most of us dared expect at this stage, credible solutions to many of the problems are in place and the serviceability has allowed a phenomenal flying rate. Some catch-up is likely, and the aircraft may be very much more useful even by Summer 05 when it hits Coningsby.

And the problems it has are as nothing compared to those now afflicting the F-22 and JSF......

What does amaze me is the thought that because of all the delays, personnel from No.17 (R) are reportedly already being posted 'as originally scheduled before the delays' at a time which is now only partway through the OT&E process. Having invested millions in converting an officer to the Typhoon, and giving him the relevant experience to be (say) the CO or XO of this unit, with the intent that he would 'see the process through', I'm amazed that this nominal and entirely generic officer should not simply be extended in post to complete his job, rather than being posted out now.

It might be good for his individual career path (maybe spending an extra 18 months as OC/XO 17 would torpedo his chances of making Group Captain?) but as a tax-payer I'm scandalised because having to convert someone to take over a job like this seems like a massive waste of money, and represents a potential cause of further delays and problems. I'm also unconvinced that there's a massive pool of blokes with the right programme/project and flying experience to be able to do jobs on 17, and none will have had the exposure to the 'process so far' that the blokes now on the unit have gained.

I'm also astonished that with aircraft availability as it is, more weekend flying isn't being undertaken in order to make up for time lost earlier in the programme. It might be hard on the individual guys, but there are wider interests at stake, I'd have thought.