PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 8 year years in the East
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2004, 18:37
typhoonpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My POV is that if given a choice between exchanging a fixed sum of money for a rating as opposed to serving out a bond in exchange for same, I'd take the cash option anyday. We have different ways of assessing the "value" of a rating, and that's fine. To me, the mischief or misery that comes from parting with a sum of money (in return for a rating) is predictable and definite, but the mischief or misery that comes from serving out a time-based agreement can be unlimited simply because we know not what tomorrow brings (as 911 and SARS etc has shown).
I think your logic is flawed. In today's environment you would be much better off having the bond versus paying cash up front. If the company you work for goes out of business you won't be out any money with the bond option. Of course I don't much care for bonds either. Training costs are a cost of doing business for the airline they shouldn't have to be born by the employee and in most other industries they are not.

Truthmaster is not "offering to pay for a job". He is asking what his chances are if he takes this gamble - there is not yet a job offer on the table which is conditional upon getting his own rating. So if the job is not there, logically he cannot offer to pay for something that does not exist.
The problem here that you don't seem to understand is that by starting off with an offer to pay for your own training you are starting from a position of inferiority. This method pretty much shows the employer how they can treat you for the term of your employment as you are obviously willing to whore yourself out just to fly a shiny new jet.

I also cannot see how paying money for my own rating can "demean" myself as a professional and/or "hurt" my fellow pilots "trying to make a living in this business". It's just a business gamble that I take. If I end up collecting ratings, then so be it, that's my problem.
Then you are truly blind. The more people that will do as Truthmaster do the less companies will be willing to pay for our services. Simple as that.

Typhoonpilot